Saturday, March 1, 2008

More Spiderwick Explorations

Here are some loose sketches and variations for J, Simon, and Mal.



_________________________________________________________

Mal on the far right was the first incarnation of this set. The middle was the second version. The one on the left with the jeans was the last. Now she looks too much like Hermoine--whoops.


The right was the first version. I then decided to cover her up a bit with the one on the left.


The first was the one on the far right. I then thought she probably shouldn't be flashin' her belly (wouldn't want my daughter to). I opened up the jacket for the last version on the left to get some more space division.

__________________________________________________________

Hipster Jared. I knew these wouldn't fly, esp. with the anime hair-do and the white kicks, but I had to anyway.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Tj... Where these just for design or where they used to familiarize yourself with the characters as well? How often do you get did you lend a hand on design? These are cool man.. i like the feel of them all... good times.

TJ Phan said...

Thanks, Saul. These were mainly for design (when we were pushing for a cartoonier look), though I think they did help me get to know the characters a bit more.

Early in the projects at SFS, we're lucky in that whoever is willing to lend a hand with concept is often allowed to do so.

I know I have a long way to go compared to all them real conept artists out there, but it's always fun to draw, and it helps me LOOK busy when there's not much to animate yet, heheh:)

jeff said...

Nice! Love the proportions - all really great sillhouettes.

Unknown said...

cool characters!

Tristan Sacramento said...

Really nice workflow write up. Definitely a good read for anyone looking for tips. I might use a few too.